18 October 2008

a slice of life, from nairobi:

this afternoon, i took a walk down the street to get some grilled maize. on the way home, i noticed two girls following me. i greeted them, and one hurried to catch up. she looked at my maize, and declared, "you have maize!" i agreed. and we walked on. a few minutes later, she asked me if she could have it. i told her no, but offered to share some. so i walked on with two very surprised girls, and ate maize, each of us picking out kernels with our fingernails, giggling. when i made my turn toward home, the girls waited at the corner, shouting goodbye. as i neared my flat, i heard "holy, holy, holy." i stopped in the street for a few minutes to listen. when it was over, i walked toward the source of the hymn, and was surprised to find a small anglican church on my street. i walked in, met the pastor, thomas, and we talked for awhile. the small church was built in 1927. he invited me to tomorrow's service.

6 comments: